Tuesday, May 28, 2013

First Test Drive of the Cumulative Process Inteligence Quotient (CPIQ)

I thought about using the CPIQ (see http://jimsinur.blogspot.com/2013/05/measuring-cumulative-intelligence-of.html  ) on the most intelligent processes I could find first, but I changed my mind to start with processes and applications that I had experience with in the past. Only then would I branch out into the new and emerging intelligent processes. This way I could contrast what happened in the
past and what is happening more frequently with BPM today. To that end, I selected to rate the following to test the CPIQ:

A traditional application
A traditional process done via traditional BPM capabilities
A hybrid traditional process/rule enabled application



Traditional Application:

Traditional applications, whether they be hand crafted legacy applications or best practice application packages, do not show the kind of process intelligence that will be required to meet the changing business needs that face us today and the foreseeable future. It was not a great surprise that these applications did not fare well on the CPIQ spider chart. Applications, augmented with additional technologies, like rules engines, would fare better.





Traditional Process:

Early process efforts with BPM did not exercise the kind of intelligence that would be necessary in the business environments evolving today. While there were significant improvements in visualization and dynamic navigation with simple rule/event engines, this would not be enough to compete in a change prone world.






Hybrid Process Charged Application:

Before BPM became a software catagory, I had the opportunity to write a workbench based process and rule driven underwriters work bench. We had to create a dynamic work list / workbench and provide a high end collaboration environment for work specialites to share an emerging life insurace policy. High risk cases were shared amongst speciality roles within the organization with rule driven services applied as needed. It was ahead of it's day, but still not intelligent enough for today's world.



Net; Net:

I found the CPIQ spider useful in determining the intelligence level of sonme of the past applications and processes that I had the pleasure to work on in my career. Next I turn my attention to some of the more intelligent processes emerging today.













No comments:

Post a Comment