Friday, March 3, 2023

A Creatives Use of AI, Algorithms and Automation

It was not imagined that technology would significantly impact the arts and artists over a decade ago. However, technology is not only assisting the arts; it is starting to turn the arts on its head. The arts have traditionally used technology as an assistant for the creators, but there is a growing movement to have AI generate art as it learns from large bases of image and audio data. I plan on leveraging several of these emerging software capabilities this year, but I have successfully leveraged various technologies as a creator over the last decade. This post aims to give examples of several forms of tech that improved my art and music.

Art:

Traditional artists want an online sales presence to expand their impact and sales. I have used digital flatbed scanners to sell art in a limited copy series. The benefit to my customers is that I can lower the price of any one piece of art by spreading the creation costs over several copies. The benefit to me is that my art gets shared and appreciated in many households and business spaces. The resulting scans can be put online in online marketplaces with high-quality images of my art



MY BEST SELLING HAND PAINTING REPLICATED DIGITALLY to CANVAS or METAL

Digital artists use technology to generate, alter and finish their art pieces. I have used algorithms to do all three to create and alter my most popular pieces that are considered fractals or digitally altered fractals. These pieces have helped me win or place in numerous art contests and placed in locations I could only dream of in the past. My pieces have appeared in the Muse De Lourve, Times Square, and Miami Scope. I used software to generate a starting point that I refined until it was properly colored, staged, and highlighted. In some cases, there were post-processing software tools that made these images even better. I expect to try some generative AI tools soon to see how to create pieces of beauty. 



MY BEST SELLING DIGITAL PIECE REPLICATED DIGITALLY to METAL

Music:

All of my recent songs have been digitally engineered with software guided by the skills of a very experienced and successful engineer. Engineering helped shape many individual voice and instrument soundtracks into cohesive pieces of music. All of my music used software to capture sounds from real instruments and create sounds from midi keyboards. These sounds were often enhanced to add effects to make them impact the mood and feel of each song. These sounds were recorded on multiple tracks to be weaved into a song, along with multiple voice recordings that were comped into a cohesive soundtrack. While few of my soundtracks were generated by technology, technology added effects. None of my music would exist without the capable skills of musicians and co-producers supported by various technologies. Even my music promotion used technology to create compelling videos. Here are my top two most popular songs so far, 



Net: Net: 

Technology has been a clear collaborator in both my art and music, but the creators guided the overall outcomes. I suspect the balance of collaboration will lean more toward technology over time, but I don't see a day coming when the creators are phased out. I will be testing the bounds of technology uses in the arts and hope it will help the resulting works in a more positive way. 

Additional Reading:

AI & Art 

AI Art Generators

AI Music Generators

Designer AI

AI Case Studies

AI Automation

AI & Data

AI Myths

1 comment: